Become a Host Family
Amity Language Model Program
Through Amity Institute’s Educational Internship Program, Milwaukee French Immersion Foundation provides funding and administrative support that brings French-speaking language models (volunteer interns) to Milwaukee French Immersion School (MFIS) and Milwaukee School of Languages (MSL) to enhance the language-learning experience for students.
Under the supervision of certified teachers, Amity language models serve as living models of language and culture in the classroom. They offer a native perspective on their language, culture and country, enabling MFIS and MSL students to better understand and appreciate the French language.
Amity language models are students and recent graduates (ages 21-29) who are preparing for careers in the educational field. Some of them have teaching experience or have worked with youth. They assist at the school for up to 32 hours per week and live with American host families. That’s where we need help!
Hosting an international visitor for an extended period of time can be a life-changing experience!
By welcoming an Amity language model from another country into your home, you and your family will gain friendship, understanding, knowledge and a connection to the broader world. Experience new tastes and customs, and take advantage of the opportunity to practice the French language. Your children will learn about different parts of the world and may receive extra help with their own French language learning.
All host families must agree to:
• Attend a host family orientation and language model welcome event
• Understand policies from Amity Institute and encourage the language model to follow those policies
• Provide for an additional member of the family, including a separate/private room and three meals per day
• Help the Amity language model adapt to your family and to U.S. life and culture
• Familiarize the language model with your hometown and promote participation in school and community events
• Offer an emotionally supportive environment
• Accept the language model as a member of your family
To express interest or ask more questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hosting an intern is a priceless experience for your family.